Monday, February 9, 2015

Monday Meanderings

I almost had to double-check to see if we were actually still on Monday.  I'm wondering if some of my dad's dementia is rubbing off on me!  He had a scheduled 3:40 eye exam and asked me half a dozen times throughout the day if it was at 2:30 before he finally wrote it down on the whiteboard, and even then he kept it in his head as 2:30! 

My new fabric purchases have not yet been tallied up and photographed, but I can show you the shops we visited on our first leg of the coastal Quilt Run 101.  I may also have taken a few shots of the ocean, and a shop mascot.
Quilter's Cottage in Newport: our first stop.  Does my cousin-in-law look excited? I really liked this shop; lots of "my types" of fabrics, but I restrained myself pretty well.  I knew I had a whole lot of shops yet to visit.

Cute little pooch - and I've forgotten its name.  There was also a black kitty which I didn't get a picture of, named Tiberius.  A sign in the window warned of an 'Attack Cat'....he was friendly at first but reached his tolerance level and became grumpy.

Quilter's Cove, also in Newport.  They had mascots too, but I didn't photograph them.  This shop is always nice, but compared to a number of years ago, doesn't carry as much fabric since they moved.  We had to stop here again on our return as I forgot to get the Challenge fabric from here, and each store carried only the one that was offered at their store. 

Ruth's Family Fabrics is in Waldport.  This store also carried other types of fabric, such as for clothing construction.

Cousin-in-law and her mom getting ready to enter Wenz-Daze Quilter's Emporium in Florence.  We poked around here for quite a little while.

In Coos Bay is Threads that Bind.  Love that name.  The funny story here is that my cousin-in-law was our driver and she was using "Simon" her gps on her cellphone to locate the store.  Simon took us all the way south of Coos Bay to a construction type of company.  Turns out that was Central Lane, not Central Avenue, so we had to backtrack a little bit and had a good time razzing about "Simon Says" and "Simon, you're fired".  Simon later goofed up on another direction.

We won't forget you here at Forget-Me-Knots Quilt Shop in Bandon.  Bandon is a nice little town.  I remember some 30+ years ago, my first husband and I stayed at a place in Bandon and ate at an attached restaurant and I had salmon plate that was the best I'd ever had.  I remembered it had very thinly sliced onion on top and capers.  On the return trip, we shop hoppers stopped again in Bandon for lunch.  We dined at the Wheelhouse Restaurant.  I enjoyed a bowl of clam chowder and mixed salad with greens, pineapple tidbits, sunflower seeds, house dressing - yum, it was so good!  My aunt enjoyed her crab sandwich - we all enjoyed our meals.

Quilter's Corner in Port Orford was our last stop on that first day.  We didn't have time to make it to the next one before closing so went straight to our motel in Brookings, then went to dinner.

One ocean view along our drive between Port Orford and Brookings.

Country Keepsakes Quilt Shop in Brookings, while not as much for my fabric tastes, was absolutely the.most.fun.  The ladies here were so absolutely fun, friendly and helpful.  We hung out here quite awhile.

Some of the fun we had while at Country Keepsakes was to sit "in" this car in assigned seating (the same seating positions we rode for our trip).  Cousin-in-law Leanne is driving, her mom is to her right wearing the other feather boa (store props), my aunt Irene in the black sweater, and I hugging the car behind Leanne.

I don't remember exactly where this was, but we got out and watched the waves crashing for a short while. 

We fit in the final one for this first leg.  #9 on our list was BJ's in Cloverdale.  It's in the northern group of quilt shops. The shop takes up the 'basement' of a family home, and there is a lot of fabric crammed in there.  Don't expect to have room to hang out and chat!  This was my second visit to BJs having been there I believe in summer 2013.  We had hoped to make it to Jane's in Tillamook, but it will have to wait until next weekend.  The reverse trip back up the coast from Brookings seemed to take a whole lot longer even though we weren't stopping at all the shops.  We stopped for lunch, but then on Saturday, we had stopped for breakfast, so we aren't sure where the time went.  Our other stops were brief too.
That concludes Part I of the Quilt Run 101.  I'm looking forward to Part II.  It can be done in a single day.  I've heard the weather is supposed to be much better next weekend.  For Part I, we had a lot of rain and a lot of wind.  If I remember more details about any specific shop as I photo my purchases and post about them, then I'll mention them, but it was pretty much a whirlwind for me and I'm not always attentive to all the details of the shops aside from recognizing whether or not their overall fabric selection fits 'my style' or not.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it funny how certain shops have a "feel." When there are several shops in an area I think it's nice when they don't overlap too much in fabric style. I get so tired of seeing nothing but Moda at shop after shop -- not that I have anything against Moda; it's just nice to see variety.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...