Friday, September 21, 2018

Scraps, Scraps, and More Scraps

I'm thinking I just may have enough scraps to last until the next century arrives! Of course, I won't live that long, but if I don't get busy, whomever inherits this stash, will have a lot of fun, or frustration.

While I was up north during July and August - I was gone for four full weeks - I was gifted two plastic trash bags of scraps by my aunt. I went through them one night while still there and stacked the pieces flat and orderly - had to see what was in that treasure trove, right? - and with doing that was able to condense them into one brown, handled, paper bag, and a smaller paper bag. 

Once home and after unpacking my suitcases, catching up on cleaning up after Marty's and Nick's four weeks of life without a feminine presence [read as maid, cook, housekeeper, etc.] I was able to tackle the sorting process.  I did that while my sister was visiting. She came for a week, and wanted me to help her make potholders from a block that we saw demonstrated while I was up north.

bagged scraps hanging out at my machine
Above and below are photos of the sorted scraps.
a full box of bagged scraps
And more sorted scraps....these below are just some of the pinks.
in the pink ready to trim
In the small bin are more of the pinks; along with pinks that I already had, and a box with reds.
ready to store
 Since I didn't go to the trouble of prewashing any of the scraps she gave me, I'm putting them all into zippered bags before storing.  I'll decide when I go to use any of them if I want to "prewash", and if I do, it'll probably be just a quick swish in the sink kind of thing. 

Before storing, I'm trimming down into the various size strips and blocks, a la Quiltville's Bonnie Hunter's method...mostly, but I'm not consistent.  I've tossed out a few that by using the burn test, were not cotton.

I'm hoping at least some of these scraps will be used in the annual mystery quilt. Also hoping I have the motivation to do it this year, as I did not do last year's and have not finished the one from 2016.

cottoncuts monthly gift
And these I wrote about back in May, ahem, my most recent post here at Webs of Thread prior to today. They are a gift from my sweet daughter.  She originally subscribed for three months for me, but with my birthday having been in July, decided to renew the gift for another three months, so there are now five, with one more due the middle of next month.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...