Linking up at Patchwork Times.
It had been awhile since I finished the piecing and subsequent layering and pin basting on Essie's quilt. This was a project passed off to me by a friend who decided quilting just wasn't for her. I wrote about it here. As she had helped me with Nick during my absences when I was off helping my dad, and way back when I broke my foot, I'd been wanting to do something special for her as a thank you. When she gave me her project "to do whatever I wanted to" with it, I decided gifting it back as a finished quilt would be the perfect thank you.
Shortly after I brought it to the point of being pin basted, I had Marty help lay diagonal rows of blue painter's tape (love that stuff) from corner to corner to mark the initial lines for my planned quilting...and that's as far as I got.
I folded it up and tucked it out of the way, but it would still nag at me since it was in plain sight. This weekend, I finally decided to get to work on quilting it.
|Back of quilt.|
I deliberated with myself as to how wide to make my rows of quilting and finally chose 3". Originally I'd thought only 1" but decided that was just way too close.
|Front of quilt.|
I have the binding sewn on the front and need to hand hem it to the backside. I noticed as I was trimming the excess that I should probably go back and restitch along the edge as my seams for the binding were a bit shallow.
Essie also provided the dark brown thread for this, and I used it, but I will never use this type of thread again. It was this:
I initially found this to be very difficult to use in my machine. It is cotton covered polyester. I haven't used any type of polyester since back in the days of making garments. Eventually I got the kinks worked out and was able to use it. I will return the remaining thread when I present the quilt to her.
She had also provided a fusible batting which I used, but did not fuse. I did not find it to my liking either. It too was polyester, and had thin spots, and thick spots, and even a spot where it felt as if there was cording running through it.
I now need to only stitch the binding to the back and it will be done. I don't think I will attach any sort of label, but I might. That will be my work later this afternoon.