Monday, November 25, 2013

Design Wall Monday - 25 November 2013

With Nick home from school all week, it doesn't seem like Monday.

I spent a good portion of yesterday afternoon sewing together the separate components of the Sister's Choice quilt blocks and was able to get eight of them done.

The pile of 2.5" squares for the four corners of each block.

The finished 9-patch units
 I may have to go back to school to take remedial math.  My project calls for 72 blocks.  Somehow I managed to come up with 77 9-patch units, so I have five extra.  There are two I put into the 72 that I'm not sure I really like, so I may swap them out and then use all the extras on the back.
The 72 sets: each has one 9-patch, four star-point units, and four corner squares...and an accurate count of 72!

The stack of five "extra" 9-patch units.

The very first completely finished.  That upper left square appears a little dark, but by the time it's incorporated into the completed quilt, it'll fit just fine.

The first eight blocks finished.  I left a narrow gap between them all. 

I'm still considering a very narrow sashing so leaving the gap will give me room to audition some fabric choices to determine if that's what I really want to do, partly because I'm not thrilled with the idea of lining up the star-point tips.  As it is, I'm finding that many of the star-point bases, don't line up really well with the 9-patch seams that they adjoin to.  So much for precision piecing though I thought I was doing pretty well.  I'm not going to be a perfectionist on this one, and those slightly 'off' parts aren't glaring so will stay that way.

Once again, it's link up time at Patchwork Times.  I'm sure glad Judy does this as I really enjoy seeing what others are doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...