Thursday, October 4, 2018

Blog Ads

I know this is slightly off-topic for my quilt/needle-work-only blog, but I'm feeling a bit grumbly this morning so am going to explain what is causing me to grumble, and it has to do with other quilting blogs.

For many, many years I've followed a couple of bloggers, well-known ladies in the quilt world, and at some point, both added/allowed advertising on their blogs. They've given their explanations, and I don't begrudge them at all. Hey, they earn whatever income they can get from their blogs - they're consistent and always interesting and as all of us bloggers (full-time or occasional) know, it takes effort to compose a blog and post pictures.

The issue I have of late is with the ads themselves, or maybe it's how they function within the blog network that does it, I really don't know which. When looking at these blogs and scrolling, there is of course the banner ad that pops up at the top of the page which can be deleted by clicking on the "x", though I've noticed it comes back now after a certain amount of time. Also, the ads that pop up at the bottom of photos. I use to be able to locate a small grayed "x" and delete those too so that I could see the full picture. Not any more! I usually cannot find an "x" at all, or if there is one, I'm not able to click on it to get it to go away. Scrolling away from the image doesn't get rid of it either. I can close the page, return and briefly see the full image before the annoyance returns.

Am I the only one bothered by this? I love these two particular blogs, but sometimes this annoyance factor keeps me from tuning in. Both authors have in the past made posts/remarks about having the ads on their blogs to where I don't want to address it with them.  I wonder too if the revenue made from having ads is really sufficient if it means you start losing your readers whose ad-tolerance level has peaked.

2 comments:

  1. I use an ad-blocker, so rarely see ads. Someone else told me about the number of ads on the blog of a particular popular quilting blogger, so I looked at the stats for my ad-blocker and noticed that each of her blog posts had 15 to 20 things my blocker was blocking. That would drive anyone nuts!

    I'm using Firefox as my internet browser, and have uBlock Origin installed as an add-in. Most browsers have ad-blocking add-ons you can install.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vireya...thank you, thank you, thank you for your suggestion..it is working GREAT!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...